Friday, February 22, 2008

23 - flashback continues

The city of Akinal was like nothing Deeter Zor had seen. He had seen all of the country his family ruled, but it couldn't have possibly prepared him for advanced civilization. Even something as simple as a map shop - something he'd seen before, in Shringston - overwhelmed him. He did his best to keep it hidden, and his years of diplomacy training helped.

Hypose paid for him, and when they left, Deeter spoke up. "I'm not destitute, you know."

"I know. You just don't have local currency, shall we say?"

In response Deeter pulled out a few of the crown's jewels that he had taken before fleeing. "These won't do, I suppose."

Hypose raised his thick bushy eyebrows. "Perhaps they will. But I must be honest with you. I know your secret."

Deeter stopped from sheer terror, dropping his jaw, but Hypose gently took his hand. "I know you are an alien," he said softly, "and if you aren't careful, the Watchers will find you."

This was not what he was expecting. "I - I don't think I understand," he said, taking back his hand.

Hypose explained about the Watchers. How they seeded many planets across the galaxy with humans. How they continued to interfere with them. "Some blasted 'prime' directive that says each planet must remain as it is, without interference. Their interference doesn't count, of course. I do not know how you managed to get here without alerting them, but I'm afraid you won't be safe for long."

At first he refused to believe him, although he was far too polite to say anything. "Then can you take me somewhere that I can get a bit of money? Just enough for today and tonight."

Hypose sighed but took him to a jeweler's. He took over the transaction, only selling a few of the jewels for more than Deeter thought reasonable. But then, perhaps jewels were relatively rare here. That would explain it, he thought at first, but they soon arrived at an inn. The price for one night was almost as much as the entire price of the jewels. He remained polite, however, until they got to the room.

"Are things truly so expensive here?"

Hypose laughed. "I suppose it seems so to you, doesn't it? This hotel is a cheaper one, actually."

"Incredible. Another good reason to leave."

He nodded. "If you can, find planets that are more like yours. Any kind of energy powering things beyond physical, the jewels you carry will not be worth much. Food at least is cheap here, relatively speaking at least. And you should get a bag, and a change of clothing."

All very practical notions. "I want a journal, as well," he said.

"Ah, now that's something else. You don't want one that could be stolen. I have just the thing. Wait here while I arrange it."

He waited. The hotel room was, like the rest of the city, unreal. White, white walls, an enormous, feather-soft bed, and huge windows of glass. Or perhaps not glass, as it sounded strange when he tapped it. There was a painting of a boy playing with some sort of animal. He supposed it was supposed to make visitors feel comforted.

It wasn't really that long before Hypose knocked on his door. The door flashed red, and showed a red Hypose on it, which was a bit startling. "Come in," he called out.

"You have to open it from the inside," came the reply.

Feeling like an idiot, he did so. "I didn't think I'd locked it."

"It locks automatically. You have the card?"

He held up the card that he had been given upon check-in. Hypose showed him to use it to open the door, and then they went to get his journal.