Monday, February 11, 2008

20

"A fucking prince," Timbella said again.

Deeter felt strange. He had never told anyone as much about himself before. He felt a sense of relief. But he was still shaking. "I was the second son. My path was to learn diplomacy. I didn't need much else."

"Yeah, throne insurance. We still have monarchy here but only a few countries give them any power. They mainly just have the inherited money from land grabs."

"Who has the power?"

"The people, technically. It's a little more complicated than that. Kwee City, for example, is supposed to be a democracy, but it's mainly run by a select elite. The same people whose ancestors created it, more or less."

He frowned. "I understand that my people are leaders because of the non-human parts. It's all legend but apparently it made us smarter and faster and stronger than the humans we conquered. I don't really know. I haven't really felt very smart or able since leaving home."

"So you really don't know what the non-human part of you is? Or even if you really are actually partly non-human?"

"Oh, I know that for sure. You have red blood, do you not?"

"Yeah..."

"We don't."

"No shit? What color is it?"

"Well, it depends." He shifted his legs underneath him. "I've only seen it during accidents, or when I was ill. Typically clear, but exposure to air and infections change it."

"Clear blood? Woah, no wonder you guys could conquer humans. I bet that would psyche people out, if they attacked you and couldn't really see the wounds," she exclaimed.

He shrugged. "I suppose. Our realms are rather peaceful at the moment. Anyway, there's a test that young royal children have to go through to prove they aren't, um, well, bastards. I'd forgotten about till you asked about the blood."

She raised her eyebrows. "They cut little kids?"

He nodded. "Simply a pinprick. The other part of the test involves the priests."

"I really am getting afraid now."

"It was somewhat frightening," he admitted. "I was only seven. I didn't understand what was going on. But they can read minds."

"Serious? Religious leaders can read minds? That sounds really frightening."

He smiled. "Not the minds of the royalty. Something about the non-human blood prevents them, and causes both the priest and the child great pain."

She pondered this. "That definitely explains a bit better why you guys are in charge, then."