Wednesday, December 26, 2007

four

Deeter Zor tried not to stare at the large man shouting at him. He looked him straight in the eyes, then lowered his head slightly. "Really quite sorry, I had no idea. No one had bothered to let me know I shouldn't be sitting here." He picked up his bowl and cup and moved to another table.

The man scowled. He had dark dreadlocks past his shoulders, eyes darker than his skin, two-days' beard growth, and muscles bulging under his leather shirt. He glared at Deeter another moment, then slammed the axe into the table. "Mine." With that, he sat down.

The serving girl and Triv came out. "What's all this about? Maeske? Everything all right?"

"Yeah, 'cept for the wimp at my table."

Triv glanced at Deeter. "Well, I'll certainly go speak with him and make sure it doesn't happen again."

He sat across from him. "So, I hear tell you need a room for the night."

"Er, I do, but..."

"Don't worry about Maeske. He knows better than to attack fellow patrons. I've had him tortured for it before. It's been years now. He can do whatever the hell he wants out there, but in my establishment no violence is permitted."

"How very comforting... but yes, a room. I'd prefer to discuss this in private, if you don't mind, after I finish my meal?"

Triv nodded. "Just tell Stell and she'll take you back to my office."

"Will do, sir, thank you."

Triv strode off, and Stell came back. "I didn't know Maeske was back in town, else I'd have warned you," she apologized. "But you seem to have calmed him down a sight."

He shrugged. "I'm no fighter. I didn't know what sort of place this was, so I just deferred to him." He looked over at Maeske, who was slurping down his stew, oblivious to anything but his meal. "I do hope he won't cause trouble when I have to go out."

"He don't usually come in here covered in blood, so you should be safe."

Spoken like someone who never leaves the tavern, he thought. "Stell, is it? My name's Dee." Everyone else seemed to have one-syllable names, and "Deet" seemed stupid.

She smiled. "A pleasure to meet you. You'll excuse me while I see if anyone else needs ale."

"Of course," he replied. He wondered if women thought he was handsome. The mating rituals back home were so stilted he couldn't say. To tell a woman you found her comely was the height of impropriety, and women had been even more tongue-tied. He had tried to talk about it with his brother, but Anect had cared for women the same as most things. He decided to just use diplomacy, as it had apparently worked for Maeske.

He ate slowly, hoping that Maeske would be gone before he finished. Unfortunately the man started on another bowl of stew and a large sack of wine after finishing his first. Deeter sighed and ate up. He signaled for Stell when done.

"Would you like some more then?"

"Actually I was wondering when you'd be done working," he replied.

She blushed. "I promised me folks I'd be home as soon as I finished. My brother is the chef here, we walk home together."

"I see," he replied. He wondered if he was blushing too. "I apologize then. Will you take me to see Triv?"

She nodded. "Right this way."

three four five

No comments: